Can Dogs Eat Chocolate ?
It is a very bad idea to feed your dogs chocolate because it contains a chemical called theobromine. Dogs can't metabolize theobromine as efficiently as humans so it builds up in their systems until it reaches a toxic level of concentration, which may lead to a variety of problem with the most serious being death due to cardiac arrest.Keep in mind that the less the dog weights, the more you should be worried because the toxicity level is higher.
When I think of chocolate, I think of Hershey so I went to their website to find out just how many mg of theobromine is in one ounce of chocolate.
HERSHEY'S KISSES (milk chocolate) 58mgs per oz
HERSHEY'S (milk chocolate) bar 55 mgs per oz
SPECIAL DARK (sweet chocolate) bar 134 mgs per oz
HERSHEY'S cocoa 737 mgs per oz
As you can see, the number varies greatly depending on the type of chocolate. Milk chocolate has the lowest amount of theobromine per oz compared to dark chocolate. Raw coca being the highest with twelve (12x) times more theobromine then milk chocolate. I would definitely encourage you to call a vet if your dog ingests a sizeable amount of cocoa.
You can view the whole chart at Hersheys. Theobromine Chart
To learn more about dog nutrition - Click Here